Post-baccalaureate Program in Premedicine
Students in the Premedicine post-baccalaureate certificate program have the opportunity to meet their educational goals at a world-class university. The program admits post-baccalaureate students seeking the laboratory science courses in biology, general and organic chemistry and physics required for the application to most medical and related professional schools. The highly regarded Northwestern University curriculum and faculty give students an in-depth science foundation. The flexible schedule allows students to prepare for advanced study at a pace that meets their individual needs. This program is designed for career changers and students who have not completed the coursework needed to apply to medical school.
Students are required to take the following courses:
- BIOL SCI 215 Genetics and Molecular Biology*
- BIOL SCI 216 Cell Biology*
- BIOL SCI 217 Physiology*
- BIOL SCI 218 Biochemistry*
- BIOL SCI 220 Genetic and Molecular Processes Laboratory
- BIOL SCI 221 Cellular Processes Laboratory
- BIOL SCI 222 Physiological Processes Laboratory
- CHEM 101 General Chemistry (with lab, CHEM 121)
- CHEM 102 General Inorganic Chemistry (with lab, CHEM 122)
- CHEM 103 General Physical Chemistry (with lab, CHEM 123)
- CHEM 210-A Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 210-B Organic Chemistry II (with lab, CHEM 230-B)
- CHEM 210-C Organic Chemistry III (with lab, CHEM 230-C)
- PHYSICS 130-A, B, C College Physics I,II,III (with lab)
*New courses to be launched, starting September 2014. The current one-year sequence in biological sciences (BIOL SCI 210-A,-B,-C) will be offered in the 2013–14 academic year.
The following courses offered during the Northwestern University Summer Session may be taken as a substitute for BIOL SCI 215, BIOL SCI 216, and BIOL SCI 217. These courses include labs, so students who complete these courses are not required to complete BIOL SCI 220, 221, and 222.
- BIOL SCI 115-0 Genetics and Molecular Biology
- BIOL SCI 116-0 Cell Biology
- BIOL SCI 117-0 Physiology
In addition to the program requirements, premedicine students have the option to take any of the courses offered at SCS. Many premedicine students take courses such as the following, especially during their glide year in which they are preparing and submitting their applications. Elective courses are not eligible for financial aid, based upon federal financial aid requirements.
- BIOL SCI 301 Biochemistry
- BIOL SCI 313 Human Anatomy
- BIOL SCI 315 Cell Biology
- BIOL SCI 316 Human Structure and Function
- BIOL SCI 335-A Human Physiology I
- BIOL SCI 335-B Human Physiology II
- BIOL SCI 355 Immunobiology
SCS premedicine students are competitive candidates for medical school application.