Certificate in Jewish Leadership
The curriculum is rooted in the belief that Judaism has its own distinct and insightful approaches to leadership. Through lectures, group work and individual mentoring led by Northwestern University and Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership faculty, as well as prominent nonprofit and business leaders in the Jewish community, participants will learn best practices drawn from contemporary leadership principles and classical Jewish texts and thought.
Participants who complete the program will be able to:
- Analyze, explain, and model what it means to be an effective leader by drawing upon Jewish scholarship and classical texts and best practices.
- Apply ethical principles based on Jewish traditions into daily leadership practices.
- Demonstrate an understanding of key qualities of effective leadership based on contemporary leadership theory.
- Develop a repertoire of supervisory, conflict resolution and change management skills.
- Implement strategies and techniques for effective collaboration, team building and communication.
- Synthesize what is learned in this program to solve problems within the participant’s organization.
A Unique Partnership
"I believe in the teaching of Moses Maimonides who instructed us to "consider the truth, regardless of the source." As such, I draw inspiration as a CEO from classical Jewish sources on humility, power sharing, and ethics, and at the same time, I am guided by the teachings of today's preeminent thinkers on leadership in areas that range from collaboration to succession planning."
— Dr. Hal M. Lewis, President and CEO Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership
Innovative Faith-based Program
"I'm very proud to support the new Certificate in Jewish Leadership program offered by Northwestern's School of Continuing Studies in cooperation with the Spertus Institute. This innovative program will provide Jewish leaders the opportunity to enhance their professional careers in the context of their personal faith. It will be a wonderful addition to our leadership programs in the School of Continuing Studies."
— Dr. Morton Schapiro, President, Northwestern University
The curriculum is a four-module sequence offered on the campuses of Northwestern University in Evanston and Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership in Chicago. It begins with an intensive two-day seminar and continues with three modules, the first two meeting on Monday evenings and the last on a program concluding Sunday and Monday. The program includes mentoring with senior Jewish community leaders in Chicago. Participants proceed through the curriculum as a cohort, which provides opportunities for peer learning and networking. To earn the certificate, students must complete all four modules.